Natural England Protected Species list
To see which species are protected by UK legislation, please click here.
Public bodies can show successful implementation of the Duty if:
- Biodiversity is integrated throughout all policies and activities.
- Staff understand how biodiversity issues relate to their own decisions.
- The organisation supports local biodiversity initiatives, such as Suffolk Biodiversity Information Service and the County Wildlife Site system.
- Biodiversity is protected and enhanced in line with statutory nature conservation obligations.
- The organisation has access to professional ecological expertise and up-to-date biodiversity information.
- The organisation reports on progress towards achieving national and local biodiversity targets.
To see what this means in practice, go to:
- Practical ideas for Parish Councils
- Local policies and strategies
- Education, advice and awareness
- Ownership and management of land and buildings
- Planning, infrastructure and development
More detailed information is available from the Wildlife Trusts’ leaflet ‘Local Authority Services and Biodiversity – Your Statutory Obligations’. The leaflet can be downloaded from the Wildlife Trusts website.